Natural disasters can occur without any warning and can cause serious damage to your business, your belongings, and even your colleagues. That’s why it’s so important to create a kit of resources that will help you get through tough times.
So what do you include in an emergency kit? This can be a bit confusing, especially when you’re putting one together for your office. You’ll want to have enough supplies for multiple people and multiple days.
We’ve put together a list of some things that you’ll want to include in case you encounter a hurricane.
- Food & Water Surviving a hurricane or other natural disaster comes down to the basics: food and water. Nonperishable food and fresh drinking water will ensure that you are fed and hydrated in case it takes a few days for rescue teams to reach you. You can also find water purification tablets that will make most water suitable for drinking.
- Flashlights There’s a good chance that when facing a hurricane, you are going to be faced with a loss of power. In order to see your way around the office. Though you most likely won’t need to worry about running out of battery power, opting for flashlights that are powered by shaking or a hand crank will help ensure that you will always have light when you need it. If you prefer battery-powered flashlights, be sure to have a backup pack of batteries just in case.
- Portable Toilet Though you may not realize it, sanitation and personal hygiene during an emergency are essential to avoid disease and infection. Having a portable toilet and wipes not only helps keep your space clean but also keeps everyone healthy.
- Whistle & Radio When stuck in an emergency situation, it’s imperative that you have a way to stay connected with those outside. Having an AM/FM radio will allow you to stay updated on conditions or the locations of rescue teams. When a rescue team does reach you, having a whistle will help them locate you and get everyone out safely. Aim to have one that can be heard in all conditions. Underwater, in loud crowds, howling wind, and more.
- Dust Mask When you’re faced with buildings that have been destroyed and other debris, you’ll want to have dust masks. Your employee's health is extremely critical and there can be harmful elements in the air that when breathed can cause sickness or even be fatal. You can find masks that simply cover the mouth and nose or you can choose masks that include a valve which increases airflow and comfort.
- Back Up Shelter Should a hurricane damage or flood your office, you’ll want an emergency shelter (tent or tarp) to help protect you from the conditions. Surprisingly, many of the casualties that occur after a natural disaster come from illness brought on by bacteria and lack of shelter from rain and low temperatures. Having tents, blankets, and sleeping bags will make a big difference in keeping you safe and warm.
Shop 1st Aid Supplies for everything you need to keep yourself, family and your employees protected in an emergency situation.